Definition for Kayak :-)

Kayak [] n. 1. an oblong banana shaped boat with a hole in the bottom from which the occupant dangles. Can be propelled the wrong way up by experts. (definition courtesy of Pete Knowles)
(And I've got this one from Chris' Kayak Lexicon)

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Diana


Has anybody noticed that it's the godess of hunt and not the god of hunt but all the hunting gear is in men's sizes? But this is neither here nor there: Paul is daring me to show myself with bloody fowl so here we go, no more chickening out:



The lodge and Lake Ida in the background.

Definitely not a feeling I will forget in a hurry, but one that if anything heightens my respect when I eat meat going forward, for the life that was given in order to make a tasty dish on my plate. The maillard hen on the right was the hen we were "stalking" for an hour before it flew into Paul's line of fire.


2 comments:

Paul said...

Looks good. You may want to let the blog-viewers know that 2 of the other ducks are Canvasbacks along with a a "Ring-necked Duck - Otherwise known as a "ringbill". The Cans are a hen and a Bull (yes male Canvasbacks are referred to as Bulls as well as Drakes - The only duck to have that distinction.) since canvasbacks are regarded by most as the king of ducks. Do a google search of Canvasback and "king of ducks". It was very exciting for two of us to nail the hen and Bull Can - unfortunately one day before you arrived. Fibally, the grammarian in me must say - Mallard has no "i".

Rosie said...

Thanks Paul! I couldn't remember what the third duck species was, so I didn't say anything about the "cans".

I could definitely tell, that you and the others were excited about the Canvasbacks!

Woops about the "i", that's from my chemistry background, there is something important called the "Maillard Reaction", which is important when you cook the duck because it makes for a brown tasty skin :-)