Definition for Kayak :-)

Kayak [] n. 1. an oblong banana shaped boat with a hole in the bottom from which the occupant dangles. Can be propelled the wrong way up by experts. (definition courtesy of Pete Knowles)
(And I've got this one from Chris' Kayak Lexicon)

Monday, June 9, 2008

Scouting the Lester

The Lester is a creek that feeds into Lake Superior at Duluth. Nora wanted to have a look at it and here are some pictures from scouting. A lot of the lines look pretty obvious and although I am not quite at that level yet, I liked what I saw. It just felt like a fun friendly creek to me at this level, justified or not. But then again feeling comfortable or feeling "it" is a big part of a good river experience. Aaron did run it the next morning and reported, that he had a very good run, but that he could see how missing a line in certain spots could get you into a bit of trouble.



Here I tried to capture the contrast between the rapids and a very calm eddy right next to each other. The more I get a chance to look at he water the more I can see features and lines. Not all boating improvement happens on the water.

Frowning face whole on the left and smiling face whole on the right.




This waterfall is called "Almost Always". I asked Mike M if it's called that because it almost always flips people. Nope it's because you almost always walk this fall. Bill suggested to rename it to "F*cking Never!" There is another feature above it that's called "Oh Sh*t, Oh G*d". I just love this name! Sorry don't have a picture of it.

I don't have any pictures of the creeking on the Knife River Sunday due to a camera problem, but check out Bryan's blog, he's got some awesome shots that Ole took!

No comments: