Definition for Kayak :-)

Kayak [] n. 1. an oblong banana shaped boat with a hole in the bottom from which the occupant dangles. Can be propelled the wrong way up by experts. (definition courtesy of Pete Knowles)
(And I've got this one from Chris' Kayak Lexicon)

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Come out, the snow is beautiful!

After all this partying in the last month and the afternoon, beforenoon or whenever naps in the last week it was not easy, but so good to get out into the cold, fresh air and for a good workout. I had enroled in a beginners cross country class after doing really, really badly, albeit in crappy conditions, a couple of years ago. I ended up waiting for my friend, who had braved the trail, sitting in the chalet. Well, I can't say that didn't have its attractions, I had a very good view of a lot of fit guys skate skiing past in very tight outfits...Huh, I thought to myself, I won't give up on that sport just yet, I'll have to get myself some lessons!



Here she is carving a track for us on the bunny... er... flat.

We had absolutely perfect conditions, the snow was lovely and powdery and in fact it was snowing all during the day! It was cold enough to have stable snow, but warm enough not to bite our faces. AND I had the best teacher I could have! Her name is Jenny and she had a really gentle approach, putting us at ease and explaining about gear and technique, while at the same time challenging us and constructively critiquing our moves.

Everybody is watching Jenny's technique, while I am funnying about with the camera instead of paying attention of what I am supposed to be doing. I bet Jenny thought I was going to be "one of THOSE students".


Tracey-Lou and Li-Hwa. Yep, it's snowing.


There's Chris and there is Alison! I actually know her from brunch at Hell's Kitchen. I love it, when I bump into people I know, when I least expect it. Makes me really feel like part of a place!



There's Jenny with more helpful pointers! She did a fantastic job! Within a bit more than an hour we had all improved a lot and where ready to go on the trail. After her instruction I felt so good about my skills, that I was going down hills with my sticks tucked under my arms like a race driver in tight bends and everything, only slowing down when I caught up with the skier ahead of me! I can't believe how dare-devil I was! What a great day! I am still sore from it after 3 days, but again, what a great day! I hope to do that again next Saturday :-)

No comments: